Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Watching Them Grow

One of the joys of getting older is to be able to look back and take note of how the young people you have worked with over the years have grown. People who were only eleven or twelve years old when I first met them are now doctors, nurses, teachers, dentists, engineers, scientists, and much more.
This past weekend was a real treat. We spent the weekend in Orange County, VA and saw lots of former members of our youth group, all now grown up, with jobs and families. We stayed with our "God daughter" (no, her parents did not pick us, but God put us all together). We have known her since she was eleven years old. Her life got off to a rough start, but she has overcome all of that and now has a wonderful husband and children, and a beautiful home. Most importantly, she has one of the most loving spirits I have ever encountered. She has run her own preschool until this year, and now substitutes at the local elementary school. Her husband started working at a local auto parts store as a young teenager, went to college, and has now bought the store and has a thriving business. They have become part of our family, and it is a real joy and blessing.
Saturday morning we went to an Easter egg hunt at the home of some of their friends. While there, we saw some other folks who were teenagers when we were at the church there. We talked about their jobs, about their kids, about coaching baseball, and just about everyday life. It was wonderful to see how they have grown and matured and become responsible, happy adults.
On Sunday, I had the privilege of bringing the Easter message at a church near Ruckersville.
I was able to participate as my niece and her fiance joined the church, and as he and their young son were baptized. My niece has not had an easy life either, but she has moved on from her past and is working hard to make a family, while going to work everyday and taking classes for college as well.
I doubt I will ever be rich as far as material things go. We often think that, if we just had lots of money, we could fix so much. Money is a help, no doubt. But I have learned that, if one is rich in love, much good can be accomplished as well. "Love One Another"-NEVER underestimate that.
Have a blessed day!

4 comments:

  1. Anthony, I love this and it is really something to see God work in lives all around us, in addition to our own. Much can be accomplished with love and consideration. I think it is true that it doesn't matter what(material thing) you give someone , but how you make them feel. Money has nothing to do with that at all. Glad to hear that you were able to preach the Easter message and it was such a dear moment in the lives of those close to you. Hope that you feel better today.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather has been in Heaven about 40 years, but just a few years ago someone told my dad about how my grandfather shared Christ with him. I do think there is something perfectly wonderful about reconnecting with the past :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just perfection!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I count mt blessings? I can't. God has given me so many gifts. A family of my own, and a family that I was given as a gift 20 some odd years ago!!! God truly knew what he was doing when you all walked into my life. Honestly you probally saved my life. You are truly a hero in my eyes. I feel so blessed. I love you dearly...or as James would say, "I love you more than pancakes!"

    ReplyDelete