Monday, April 12, 2010

Doctor, Doctor

Having been away for almost 25 years now, I am amazed to look back and realize how many wonderful, dedicated doctors we had for such a small town.
Dr. Bowles was a graduate of the University of Virginia Medical School. He took care of my whole family throughout the years, and made house calls, as did most of the doctors in town at that time. $5.00 for a visit, $8 for a visit and a shot!
When I was a toddler, I developed a taste for St. Joseph's Children's Aspirin, you, the orange flavored, chewable ones? Well, one day when my mother was not looking, I found the bottle. Of course, this was long before child-proof caps. My mother told me later that she found me, holding the empty bottle, and asked "Where are all the pills?" I just looked up at her, pointed to my mouth and said "Gone".
My parents loaded me into the car and rushed me up to town to Dr. Bowles office. They say that he quickly pumped my stomach, then began pacing the floor, smoking cigarette after cigarette as he hoped he had gotten the pills out in time.
Years later, as a preteen, I began to have unusual pains in my side, and was sick alot. I was taken to Riverside Hospital in Newport News, where multiple tests were run. When they couldn't find anything, I remember being in bed as the doctors came to my hospital room door and told my mother "It's all in his head". I went back home, and within a week, I was at Dr. Bowles office again. He dismissed Riverside's actions, and decided to run his own tests. He was the one that found out I had diabetes. A hospital had missed it, but the old country doctor found it!
When I was a senior in high school, I went to Dr. Bowles one day for my college physical. When he was finished, he stopped me at the door and said, "We are really proud of you. I know you will do well". You see, I was the first one in my family to go to college. I really appreciated what he said that day.
Well, it's been a long day, but I have more doctor stories to come. Hudgins, Ransone (young and old), Stewart, Reed and maybe some others.
PLEASE take a moment to share YOUR stories and memories, especially of the doctors I have mentioned here, or the ones when you were growing up. From "Purple People Eaters" to ear-piercings, you have a lot to share.
Be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. The purple people eater comment really scared my little sister, LOL. And, I still believe they shouldn't make aspirin taste so good...my mom had to rush two of us to the hospital for the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Kearney was friends with my grandparents, and as such he treated us for practically free. His answer to everything was a shot in the behind, but it always seemed to work. He was also known to dole out sedatives or tranquilizers for nervous mothers whose daughter may or may not have accidentally served up d-con rat poison at a tea party with her sisters.

    He was a doctor at Ft. Eustis (or MOnroe or somewhere similar) but also had an office in his home down Hallieford.

    That's an amazing story about Riverside not being able to find out you had diabetes yet Dr. Bowles could. Amazing.

    Dr. Tabb rings a bell, too, but I may be thinking of my grandmother from Gloucester who couldn't stop singing his praises enough.

    Great topic, and thanks for bringing back memories, especially of those DELICIOUS baby aspirins.

    ReplyDelete