Monday, April 26, 2010

Ghosts

Let me be very clear about this: I DO BELIEVE in Ghosts. Now, as to what they are, where they come from, why they are here, I can't answer all that. What I do know is that there are many things out there that we cannot explain. We also have far too many incidents and reports from credible witnesses to dismiss all the claims as just someones imagination or hysteria.
I grew up in a haunted town, that's for sure. The Old House Woods area of Mathews is one of the most recognized haunted areas in the nation, with stories dating back to Revolutionary War days. Ghost ships, soldiers burying gold on the beach, skeleton soldiers on horseback demanding people stop "In the name of the King's Army!!", disappearing waterman and old coins and beer steins left behind. Many books have chronicles the stories; "Virginia Ghosts, Vol.1" by L.B. Taylor, Jr. is one of the best and most easily available.
I have been to Old House Woods many times. When I was around twelve years old, a friend and I ventured into the woods and found an old abandoned house still standing. We went inside,
and found a still smoking cigarette in an ash tray. Someone had just been there, and took off when we came in. We never did see or hear anyone in the house.
One night, as a teenager, my friends and I decided to drive down to Old House Woods to see if anything would happen or appear. As we turned a corner, the front passenger side door flew open. With God as my witness, we could not get that door to close until we turned the car around and headed away from Old House Woods.
One day, as a teenager, I was watching a baseball game on television. On each side of the TV set were windows that faced a neighbor's house. I looked out of the window, and saw my long-time neighbor walk out of his house and get into his car. In a moment, I saw him drive away. A few minutes later, it hit me: he had been DEAD for over five years!! What I saw was a ghost!
Have you ever seen a ghost, or had an encounter that you cannot explain? PLEASE take a moment to share your experiences.
BTW, I have tried, but I just can't blog every day. CBW, I don't know how you do it.
Take care, and have a blessed day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes! I've seen a ghost and my sister Diane can serve as a witness!

    She and I both got up early one Christmas Eve, because of course we couldn't wait to see what was under the tree. It was pitch black. WE turned on the lights to the tree and sat there staring at what was under the tree. Both of us, at the exact same time, looked behind us. There standing in the doorway was a figure. We could not make out a face at all, but we knew it was someone standing there. As soon as we saw it, it disappeared. No steps, it just vanished.

    The next day we asked if anyone (mother? father?) might have been up in the middle of the night/early morning. Nope.

    She and I both know what we saw, and we both know it was not "of this world." It was something extraordinary.

    I always tell my kids this: we try to explain things using the knowledge that we have, but our minds can only comprehend so much. Then I ask them to think about this: if a fly is born inside a house, and all it ever sees is the inside of a house, does that mean that all that exists is the house? To the fly, maybe.

    But of course we know that there is a whole world outside of that house that the fly will never see. It doesn't mean the world doesn't exist; it only means the fly doesn't see it.

    My daughter thought this was very profound. It isn't, but it's sort of how I explain ghosts -and God for that matter. Just because we don't see something or fully understand it, doesn't mean it can't or doesn't exist.

    p.s. I don't know how I blog every day either. It's pretty exhausting.

    p.s.s. LOVE your topics. You really are very gifted and have an exceptional way of telling a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well remember you seeing our dead neighbor several years after his death and your reaction.
    Also, you went w/myself and husband to "Old House Woods", he was scared to death; quite honestly, I couldn't wait to get out. Definitely ghosts, never saw, but felt presence. Got out as fast as we could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship with Old House Woods. It never fails to deliver on paranormal activity but its creepy as heck, even walking the road from Haven Beach down to Old House Woods Rd is creepy in the day time. I have too many stories to tell here, but I have some recordings and photos on the website at www.gettysburgghosts.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. you saw Howard.... oh how cool is that.. I loved Howard so very much.

    I love your stories.. I love your blog.. one day i will blog again when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the Buckley Hall Inn the B&B where there are ghosts? John & I stayed at one that had stories of ghosts in their rooms. Didn't see any ghosts, but the innkeeper was wonderful.

    I sometimes feel the presence of something there when there is no one around.

    ReplyDelete