Thursday, March 25, 2010

Taking a Stand

There come times in life where people of character are called to make a stand. You can either stand up for what is right, or you can stand idly by. Be assured that some will attack you for taking a stand, even for what is right.
I remember one of the first churches I served. It became evident that the children of one of the family's in the church were being abused. Bruises, burns, broken bones, mentally and physically.
The abuser, the children's mother, was involved in Scouting, taught Sunday School, and was involved in numerous community activities, including working at a local nursery school. The school jumped in before I could, and contacted Social Services. When I asked the church board to request that she step down from working with children until it was resolved, I became the bad guy. One chilling comment has struck me to this day: "Well, she can keep working with the kids. She never hits our kids" There were court hearings, and I had to say what I had seen. I found myself pitted against church members who came to testify on the mother's behalf. It was a nightmare, but I had to stand up for those kids.
I was reminded of standing up for what is right when today I was informed that Westboro Baptist Church (if you can call them a church), known for it's "God Hates Fags" website and veteran's funeral protest, is coming to Virginia Tech on April 9th to "celebrate" the April 16, 2007 shootings that left 33 people dead. They claim God sent the shooter to show God's displeasure with the United States. Their pastor has stated that he "wishes it could have been 33,000" Sick.
A peaceful counter protest is planned, and since my daughter is a senior at VT, I live close and am available that day, I plan to go. Not to scream or curse, but to stand with other Christians to show them that our God is a God of Love, not Hate. I have been told that they will insult us and seek to agitate us so that someone will lose thier cool and go after them. They then file charges and sue for damages. No, that would just be giving into their wants. We will show them a love that is strong enough to deflect their arrows of hate.
I know many would like to be there, but work, distance away, and other responsibilities make that impossible. I can be there, so I will go and take a stand. Doesn't make me a hero or a saint; it's just the right thing to do.
Be blessed!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Anthony! I'll be standing beside you in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that time well (your 1st church experience), as the many other times you and Vickie listened to God and not the people, my prayers will be with you at Tech although I will be unable to attend as much as I would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing the right thing often takes courage. Our political climate today is good proof of that. I greatly admire your courage to stand up for what is right and doing so with grace.

    I'm not sure why this Westboro Church thinks God hates anyone at all. It sounds to me like the only ones filled with hate sit right there in the congregation.

    People who lead and are led by fear, exclusion and hate are so far away from anything in the Bible I ever read. I wonder what version they're reading, or perhaps they wrote their own?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commend you for what you did for those children and for the children of your church!! I know how hard that is!! Wish that tech was not so far away, it is horrible that anyone affilated with a church could think or believe that god does not love all, that is the first lessons we all learn. Please be safe, much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking a stand! I just googled that church. I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I a very blessed to know such a brave person

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont know how I became anonymous! -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Anthony! That "church" needs to be shown massive amounts of love.

    ReplyDelete