Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Birth of a Mule

I have been fortunate enough to have close relationships with both of my children, and sports have played a big part in that. With Jacqueline, I was everything from a soccer coach (though I had never played on a team before) to being her softball coach for several years. I'm proud to say that I didn't scream at the kids, did not embarrass them, and we were able to have fun and win lots of games.
With Kenny, I have been with him and supported him, but others have coached him. He tried baseball, but because of his bad vision, which cannot be corrected, he has a tough time picking up a tiny ball moving that fast. He enjoys basketball, and played several years of parks and rec. But his real sport is football.
The first year he played, he was very young, and did not really understand the game or what he was supposed to do. His head coach was a pretty over-bearing guy, and he made a point of embarrassing Kenny and some of the other players (last year, he did come up to Kenny and apologize for the way he had acted, I will give him credit for that) The following year, Kenny would not even go out for football.
The next year, the urge was too much, plus he would be on a new team with a different coach.
When I first saw Coach Mike, he seemed pretty vocal and loud, and I just hoped it would not be a repeat of that first season. I learned quickly that Coach Mike liked to yell-but he yelled encouragement, and did not embarrass his players. When a player needed to be corrected, he waited until he got the child on the sideline, and then told the player, without yelling at him, what he needed to do differently.
I saw Kenny blossom that year. By season's end, he was one of the best players on the team. In the final playoff game against an undefeated Glenvar team, Kenny was being double-teamed all night. On one particular series, he got hit with several low blocks, and became frustrated. As he came to the sidelines, really getting emotional, I called him on over to the fence and said "They're just trying to get you mad so you'll get thrown out of the game. Use that anger and hit them back even harder". He went back out, and I watched him as he was working against two, and sometimes three, players at a time. He played his heart out. We lost that game in overtime, and Kenny took it very hard. But I saw his future that night.
Here in Salem, high-school football is big time. Our facilities are better than many small colleges, and we have won several state championships. Offensive linemen are not stars at most schools, but they are greatly appreciated here. They are known as "The Mules" because they carry the load. Without them, backs cannot run, quarterbacks have no time to throw. Kenny is on junior varsity now. He will be a sophomore next year, then on to varsity after that. If things continue as they are going now, he will be a "Mule". Even more, I love to see him be part of a team, and learn the thrill of working with your team to achieve a victory, and to play your hardest and smartest. Will he be a Hokie, or even a Redskin (I'd probably fall over dead from joy if that happened. My blood type is burgundy/gold!) Realistically, I doubt it. But I love to watch him play the game he loves, and even more, to watch him grow as a good and decent young man. God has blessed us with wonderful children. I am glad I am able to appreciate the gift that we have been given.
Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Fathers and sons have a special bond. John loved coaching Daniel's teams, even though Daniel is not an athlete. Enjoy these high school years with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful, my first born is tryin my last nerve and everyone else's too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still amazed that someone would actually apologize for being such a mean coach. That's pretty cool.

    P.S. Just so you know, the Detroit Lions are always accepting players - of any caliber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. It just shows what can happen with the right coach and the right motivation.

    ReplyDelete