Monday, March 22, 2010

Family Matters

My wife and I first met on the first day of our college orientation in August, 1981. We were standing in a line waiting to get our pictures taken for our student i.d.'s. As I got in line, I noticed a red headed girl standing in front of me. After a few minutes, when she happened to turn around, I said hello, and we talked briefly. Something about her made me think she was a little country girl from West Virginia (mind you, I had never met anyone from WVA, just a complete stereotype on my part!) I remember saying to myself "She seems nice enough, but I just left Mathews. I don't need a country girl!
As the days passed, our paths continued to cross. Turned out she had come to school a week before orientation because that was the only time her dad could get off work to drive her down from Massachusetts (NOT West Virginia). One of my friends from church back home was doing orientation set-up that year, and she and my wife had become friendly from eating together. I was nervous those first few weeks, so when I got to the cafeteria each meal, I searched frantically for somebody I knew to sit with. I ended up eating many meals with my friend and future wife those first few weeks.
One day, she came by my table and asked me to come to her room and study. I said "sure". One of my dorm mates spoke up after she left and said "That girl likes you". I told him, "No, we are just friends" "No man," he replied, "I can tell--she likes you"
That night I went to her room and we studied English for about an hour. Then she put on a Barry Manilow record (which one neither of us is now sure) we talked some more, and had our first kiss. I knew by November I wanted to marry her, but that would be five more years away.
That first kiss will be 29 years ago this September, and somehow we have "made it through the rain" (hit it, Barry!!!)
P.S. Some people have asked me to write more about my illness. I will, but it's hard for me. I grew up in a fairly sickly family, and to be quite honest, I got sick of talking about illness. However, orange popsicles will get a shout-out from me before too long!!
Have a great day!! And PLEASE, let me know what you think, and anything you would like me to talk about.

4 comments:

  1. ohhh you should talk about your little go cart car and post the pic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twenty nine years? That is absolutely amazing. I greatly admire couples with endurance and stamina, especially those who make it seem so effortless. Maybe because it is for them, who knows.

    What are the secrets to such longevity?

    Barry Manilow is/was the greatest (was only because I never hear him any more). Could it be magic is my favorite. It's based on a classical song I used to play on the piano. Of course I can't remember the song or who wrote it, nor can I play it on the piano. But he did wonders with layering his lyrics on top of it. As much as people give him grief, he's very talented.

    Awesome story, and again I greatly admire you both. 29 years is a rarity these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is way cool.....did you know that drs ransone met in line at college too!!! not sure how long they have been married but congrats and i am sure she will love anything you by her cause it will be from you!! but i did recently see a necklace that was an actual thumbprint of child but would be cool if it was yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. You write about what you want to write about... we'll just bask in the positive energy you exude :-)...

    ReplyDelete