Thursday, March 18, 2010

From the Sports Page to the Pulpit

I never intended to be a minister. I spent alot of time during my teen years at the home of my good friend, Jimmy Rogers. His dad was our pastor, and when both my parents ended up in the hospital at the same time, I stayed at Jimmy's house for a couple of weeks. One day, Rev. Rogers invited me to skip school (Hey, I like this guy!) and go with him for the day as he drove to Richmond and Newport News to make hospital visits. That night, he went back to the church for a meeting of the Administrative Board. Knowing how hard the guy worked, how dedicated he was, then seeing how the church treated him at the meeting that night, I swore I would never become a pastor. I love God and Jesus alot, but people will drive you crazy!
No, I was going to be a sports writer, move to D.C. and cover my boyhood heroes, the Washington Redskins (I want a Redskins casket, but lucky for my wife, they don't make them-DARN!) Once I got to Virginia Wesleyan, I discovered they really did not have (at that time) much for a journalism department. So, loving history and sports, I decided to become a history teacher and football coach.
I had done a few guest preaching Sundays over the years, and people had often remarked that I should go into the ministry. I would nod politely and thank them, secretly thinking to myself, "When Hell freezes over". No way was I going to put me or my family through that.
One night while back in Mathews, I went to a revival meeting at my home church. I am embarrassed to say I did not really hear a word the guest pastor said in his sermon that night. I was too busy listening to God, who was putting in my heart that the things I wanted to do could best be done as a pastor. Spreading the Gospel by example as much as by mouth, working to help young people, etc. When the sermon was over, I went forward and dedicated my life to going into the ministry. When I got back to school, I went to see one of the school officials, who told me, "I was waiting for you to come by. I always knew you would go into the minstry".
The rest, some 28 years later, is history. Yes, some folks will still drive you crazy, but the vast majority will be a great blessing to you.
Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, ND!! Just stopping by via CBW's site. Yes, some people WILL drive you crazy! Just remember, we all have EGR's in our life....Extra Grace Required;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this is making me well up with tears (no lie). What a phenomenal story and a twisty, curvy road you've been down to get to where you are, which is where you're supposed to be. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CBW sent me over... and being the obedient soul I (wish I) am, I hopped over. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here via CBW, too. My high school's teams were the Red Devils and I always hated that name. I look forward to hearing more of your fascinating story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for stopping by, and thanks CBW, for sending folks my way!
    BHE-yes, some people do require extra grace. I'm sure that I do at times, too.
    CF-I lived in Lancaster County, VA for a couple of years-home of the Red Devils.
    Have a great day everyone!

    ReplyDelete