Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Old Friends There Are Not Forgotten

One of the things you learn when you almost die is who your friends really are. I went from an outpatient surgery to cancer debulking surgery to kidney and liver failure, a collapsed lung, a body full of infection, and being told I only had days to live, only to be saved by what only could have been a miracle from God and thousands of people's prayers.
For all the trials and fears of that time, it was also a time of great blessing for us. For one thing, Vickie and I got rid of alot of old "junk" that had been bogging down our relationship. When you almost lose the one you love, you realize alot of the things you have worried about so much were really not that important to begin with. Our marriage now is stronger and healthier than it has been in years. We both realized again what really matters.
One of the greatest blessings has been the support of our family and our friends, some of whom have really become our extended family, even though many live hours away from us. I have heard from old friends as far away as California and Guam. People who we had not seen in years have come out of the woodwork to offer prayers, send cards, make donations, visit me in the hospital, help with Vickie's hotel room while I was at Wake Forest, help take care of Kenny, build a ramp onto our house so I could get in and out the door, install rails in our bathroom so I could get into the shower, set up a bed in my living room so I could rest during the day, had prayer vigils at churches, driven hours to be with me and stay by my bedside, and much, much more.
I have joked that it was nice to, in a way, get to go to my own funeral. I always wondered who would come if I died. I got close enough that I found out, and it made me feel loved and appreciated to see those who reached out to me and my family. Maybe I haven't been that bad a person after all.
Bless you all-have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. you have never been a bad person a day in your life!!! that made me laugh out loud!!! Love ya lots!!!

    wv rudotold= you have been told!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I had birth defect (so much family sickness). Love you and Vickie dearly and overjoyed still with still being with us. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you've not been "that bad a person," most people should strive to be a fraction of the good that you are.

    You and Vickie could probably give very meaningful and uplifting motivational talks to couples. Too often --in fact most times I think--relationships break apart due to what starts off as petty, ridiculous differences. Sometimes if people just weather the storm, the seas turn calmer--and sometimes more beautiful--than before. (Other times the boat just capsizes and you're lucky if you survive alone much less as a couple.)

    Now that you've got that funeral business out of your system, there's no need to wonder about that any more, OK? Good.

    In other unrelated news, I took my son to visit MHS today. Although some things have changed, much remains the same. Mr. Payton was still sitting back in his shop. Cindy Hayes (remember her singing?) teaches down the hall from him. The old auditorium is now a library, and the smokers' area is now a picnic area. It was surreal. It also makes me realize how quickly time flies.

    ReplyDelete