Friday, June 4, 2010

Moving Day - Part 1

Moving Day. For United Methodist churches and their pastors, it is a day of excitement, sadness, so many feelings, and usually exhausted by the ride to the new church.

I first remember moving day from the mid 1970's. My best friend's father was the pastor of our church. Back then, it was unusual for a pastor to stay longer than four years at an "appointment"'. When Rev. Rogers came back for a fifth year, we knew our time with him was almost over. I remember going to the parsonage the day the loading truck came. I was really upset and mad. When my parents were really ill, I often stayed at the parsonage. It was like losing my second family. I also felt like the church asked Rev. Rogers to move because certain people wanted to control the church, and Rev Rogers himself. I do know that, while he was at our church, it was not at all unusual to have to set up folding chairs in the aisles to seat everyone in the congregation. The church has gone downhill since he left over 25 years ago.

In case you are not United Methodist, you may find it strange to move the pastor almost automatically after five years. These days, if pastor and church are willing, there is no longer a time limit. As for our "system", the Bishop appoints pastors to churches. UM churches do not go and hire their own pastors. We pastors are "sent" to the church.

My next post will detail some of what my kids have gone through in this process, as well as what other pastor's families have shared we me. PLEASE share your experiences, either here, or for more privacy, at revacb32@yahoo.com. All email will remain anonymous.
Been sick for a week-hope things continue to improve!
Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. One of my best friends was the preacher's daughter. She moved when we were about 8. I only saw her once in the years after and often wonder how she is. I remember painting the parsonage so the new family could come in to a clean house. I hate the United Methodist system and am glad I am at a non-denominational church now where there have only been 3 senior pastors in 75 years. It's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In high school we lived way out in the boonies so we had a "circuit" preacher who came 2 Sundays a month. On the other 2 Sundays the lay leader would do the sermon (sometimes my father). Because of this we really didn't have a parsonage to speak of and were used to having different ministers visit us.

    ReplyDelete