Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

I could write a book about everything my Dad, Raymond Busic, taught me, some by spoken word, much by silent example. My dad was my hero. He was always there for me, often quietly in the background. When I talked, he did not just wait for a chance to jump in and correct me. He actually listened to me, and tried to understand me.
Some people grew up having to fear a whipping if they missed behaved. My dad never touched me, but he did discipline me, and I am a better man today for it. I always feared disappointing my dad. I did not do it often, but when I did, I felt like I was breaking his heart. That hurt me more than any spanking ever could.
Dad hung on to life like you cannot believe. I think we actually had to convince him that it was alright to die. He worried about leaving my mom and my sister behind, and missing all of us. Someone recently told me, after my health problems and near-death experience last year "You remind me a lot of your dad, your will to live" I'm sure he's where I get my toughness from, my determination to keep fighting. Dad lived for 30 years after his first stroke. He had all kinds of health problems. But he kept fighting, and he lived to see me graduate high school, college, and get married. He also saw all of his grandchildren be born. He was respected across the community, and known as a man of integrity and a man of his word. I don't know of one enemy Dad had. If I can be half the man my father was, I will have done well. He was and is my hero, my example, and my inspiration.
Well, now that I've had a good cry (my daddy taught me that was ok, too) I better get ready to go preach. My job is to be a good husband and a good dad. If I don't do that, how can I represent the love of God?
Have a blessed day!

3 comments:

  1. 3rd attempt. Yes, Dad was such an inspiration to all of us, strong, quiet; however, his love for us was so evident, strong. And yes, when we disappointed/hurt him, break our hearts. He always forgave, understood and loved us. It hurts so much to have been told my Father whom I adored died worrying about what would happen to me w/my disability. I tried so hard my entire life not to let my parents know how much pain was really in, but guess they knew anyway. Dad really was respected by all who knew him. such a gentle yet strong man. Honestly, no man would ever be able to replace or be the man my Father was. I love and miss him so much; I have also shed quite a few tears myself today. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey bush ran across this and would like to contact you. Knew you from High School. You have an e-mail

    David D

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,
    I am on Facebook. and my e-mail is:
    revacb32@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete