Wednesday, May 18, 2011

25 Years and Counting

May 18, 1986 was one of the hottest, most humid days I can remember. Before the wedding began, everyone was trying to find an air-conditioning vent to stand over. But after years of waiting, the day was finally here, and we were thrilled.
My dad was my best man. As he and I stood at the front of the church at the altar, waiting for Vickie to walk down, I was just overcome with emotions about it all. I was so excited to finally be married to Vickie-we had already been together for five years. But when Vickie saw my face, she thought I looked upset and that I was about to run out of the church!
Our service was a combination of the Catholic and United Methodist traditions. The wedding was at my home church, St. Paul UMC in Susan, VA. We had two pastors, a sermon, and Holy Communion, plus several songs. The whole thing took about an hour and fifteen minutes.
One of my college professors who was there commented to me as he left the church, "Busic, we graduated the entire senior class in the time it took you to get married!" LOL
We had a brief reception at church-plans for it changed at the last minute, and the ladies of the church stepped in and saved the day. Then, we went to a local marina for our sit-down dinner. It all went very nicely, and I think everyone had a good time. We went to Williamsburg and Washington DC for our honeymoon.
Hard to believe that 25 years have already gone by. We promised that w would never hit each other, and we never have. Arguments, painful disagreements? Oh yes, we have certainly had rough times as well as good. But we were determined to stick together, and I am happy to say we are enjoying each other more now than ever.
I would like to thank everyone for all of their support over the years-before my illness and since. I pray we can add another 25 years to this one, but that's not up to me. And I'll be grateful for whatever time God blesses us with.
Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. The last two weddings I've attended last no more than 10 minutes - music and all. It seemed like so much planning and money for such a short ceremony. Congratulations to you and your bride :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How well I remember the day and , yes, was longest wedding I've ever attended yet also most beautiful! You and your family have always meant the world to me, love you all dearly.

    Congratulations to both of you and wishing you many more!

    ReplyDelete